After 2 years of depressing news and regular negativity about many leaders, we love a good story of inspiring leadership. In fact there are many excellent leaders. And occasionally some get a well-deserved recognition in a very public way!
When Dr Nour became Young Australian Of The Year on the eve of Australia Day, the power of outstanding leadership was evident in his story. This humble young man achieved an amazing amount in a very short time. His passion for helping others not as fortunate as you and I guided him lead change.
When Passion Leads To Innovation
In barely 12 months, Dr Daniel Nour turned his discovery of the healthcare barriers encountered by the homeless into a ground-breaking free GP and allied-health roadside service. The first van of his Street Side Medics charity hit the streets in July 2020; some 220 health professionals are volunteering their services; and the organisation is gearing up to expand nationally.
You can read more about this example of outstanding leadership here, Dr Nour, Young Australian Of The Year – 2022
You will agree with me that it took passion, courage, research, hard work, commitment, humility and the ability to inspire others.
- Passion to help the most vulnerable
- Research into all the barriers between the homeless and health services
- Courage to opt for an innovative model that stemmed from the perspective of the homeless and avoided the issues of the traditional system.
- Courage also to present the project to high profile companies to get many large corporates on board.
- Commitment demonstrated by putting most of his own money into the project.
- Commitment to dedicate his “spare time” to learn how to set up a medical practice, meet clinical and corporate governance requirements, set up a charity….
- Humility to recognise the need for partners, the value of mentors, and the need for a dedicated CEO to enable his “baby” to grow into a national solution
- Ability to Inspire a vast number of health professionals to volunteer and gain a lot of support.
Inspiring Leadership To Bring Change In 2022
Indeed such traits are vital ingredients of excellent leadership for any transformational project.
Now barely 25, Dr Nour has already been changing the world for homeless people; his youth was not a hurdle. That is optimistic leadership in practice! You will find more about that concept in our post Making Transformation Projects Work
Optimism enables leaders to create and implement change because they see opportunities where others can only see barriers and objections. They have the confidence to see the big picture and a different way of doing things. They are not letting hurdles stop them and become inspiring communicators rallying many people to enthusiastically support their vision of a better future.
At Bridgeworks we help organisations and businesses of all sizes to transform their cultures and help their managers become effective leaders.
Talk to us if you are eager to transform the game in 2022.