Australia is currently one of the best countries dealing with COVID-19. Sharing a clear purpose has been a notable feature of the recent weeks. It works for business too.
First let me say that this post is not taking any political side. In fact that is the reason our process in dealing with COVID-19 has been so successful: In this case, there are no ‘sides’.
Instead, there is a powerful common vision, united and enabled by common aligned values of collaboration, trust and being proactive.
The National Cabinet – Is it killing us or saving us?
In a country of very diverse States, to create a unified coordinated approach in practice is not easy! So the formation of a National Cabinet by Australian Prime Minister, Scott Morrison has been the powerful lifeline we needed.
It has been effective because the cabinet has a clear purpose to fulfil: “Protecting Australians from the impact of coronavirus”, starting with “Save Lives and ensure our health system copes with the virus”; its significant backdrop being the need to mitigate the economic impact on Australians.
This is Australia’s first national cabinet: Governments of all colours, and their agencies, working as one, in a form of co-operative federalism many officials had only dreamed of.
Formed at the Council of Australian Government (COAG) meeting on March 13, the members of this “wartime” national cabinet are the nation’s first ministers: the Prime Minister, premiers and territory leaders. The definition of the task of this special “intergovernmental decision-making forum” is clear: to co-ordinate and deliver a consistent response to Covid-19.
This allows all Australian governments to play their part in delivering complementary, targeted responses to all matters related to the coronavirus crisis.
As a result, we have one strong, aligned plan. Then its implementation adjusts the execution details to local circumstances.
What Can Organisations Learn From This Experience?
Now, imagine what would happen if we too could apply a strong common purpose. And if we could underpin this reason for being with practical values that work for all!
Here are some lessons we draw from observing how National Cabinet is tackling the biggest global challenge of our generation.
WHAT IF we too dared to transform our traditional operating model to be as fast and agile as possible!
Imagine what our organisations could look like! And consider how valuable the outcomes could be?
- All employees and stakeholders would feel that their needs, perspectives and skills are valued;
- So they would actively engage, feel accountable and deliver support;
- At the same time, the dangers of micro-management would disappear;
- and policies would be more likely to be appropriate and more rapidly effective;
- Additionally the leader’s own load would lighten through delegating to trusted and accountable resources;
- A common WHY driving everyone would allow all to let go of the “baggage” that typically reduces performance
- Decision and implementation speed would increase as well as local results
- And the better information flow would inspire a stronger sense of confidence in the leadership team
Overall all this means that
- Business productivity would go through the roof
- Business strength would also increase
- And your business brand image would improve internally and externally
Covid-19 is a game-changer, a circuit-breaker! It brings an amazing opportunity to rethink fast why we do what we do and how we do what we need to do.
So, Is Everyone In You Business Sharing A Clear Purpose?
If you would like to explore how you could change the culture and processes of your organisation, contact Wayne Dyson